Thursday, January 29, 2009

Dress for Sucess!



Today I met with a mid size janitorial company based in the Greater Toronto area. I had spoke about subcontracting window cleaning jobs from him, since many of his customers need window cleaning done.

His client list included a who's-who of Toronto, an impressive client list which they showed me when I met with them.

Originally I was going to meet the marketing director in a coffee shop, at the last minute he decided to invite me to his office. Where I would also meet the CEO. This was turning into more of a job interview, and a situation where I want to make the best possible impression.

So I decided to dress well for it. I didn't want to overdress, and look out of place, wearing a complete suit. Instead I wore suit pants, and nice dress shirt top button unbuttoned, and nice polished, good quality dress shoes and socks.

It turns out I made more of an impression then a would have hoped for.

He was impressed because he found some window cleaners in the past have not taken care of their personal appearance when servicing his clients, appearing with dirty rags coming out of their pockets, cutoff jeans and unkempt appearance.

As he told me himself, the way I dressed, showed that I cared about my appearance, that I would dress with appropriate attire, or the people I send would dress appropriately when doing jobs.

He appreciated that because he is concerned with image, and he wants to project a good image with dress, and other matters.

The way I dressed today, practically got me a subcontracting agreement before I opened my mouth.

As you probably know, the way you dress speaks volumes, and dressing appropriately on occasions when you meet important contacts is very important.

Don't feel you need to overdress, but dress appropriately for the occasion, and you may find your business will flourish as you build important relationships with other companies.

No comments: