Thursday, January 22, 2009

Never Assume!



Never Assume

Often as window cleaners we are filled with much self-doubt.

We give proposals to prospective window cleaners thru email, or fax, and we wait and wait. We might have initially have thought we would get the job, but as time passes. We might wonder, was my price too low? Did another window cleaner get it? Were they not that interested to begin with? The most common thing we might think, is my prices are too high, I need to lower them, they would never go for my prices, they probably have someone who charges them much less.

Often these suppositions are false. Our price was not thought of as too high. Often the problem is this.

Our prospective customer was just too busy to call us, or he was to busy even to look at our quote. Or he had some family emergency to handle. Or he is short staffed and put us on the back burner. Or he's checking with head office to get autority to hire a window cleaner. Or he is still looking to see what is budget is for the year. Or he is waiting on his partner to give approval and she is sick.

It could be a variety of things, but usually it boils down to this they were too busy to call us, or too look into our quote.

So don't beat yourself up, keep a positive attitude. Don't make assumptions tell you hear it from the horses mouth.

I'm writing this because this is what happened to me, I emailed a proposal for window cleaning, and after initially speaking to the customer, I didn't hear back. I thought my prices is too high. But no the customer was waiting on a few people to see if they could go ahead with our window cleaner. Another customer who I emailed, also after several reminder emails had not even looked at the quote because he was busy.

So stop assuming, and stop beating yourself up. Don't change your pricing scheme until you know that it is turning away too many customers.

How do you solve this problem? My next post will shed some light.

Thanks for reading my blog! Are you in the Toronto area and want your windows cleaned? Call the Toronto window cleaner at 647-409-8144

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with you, Michael. I've been pricing jobs for many years, probably more on the low side than high until last year. I just wait usually and many will call back when you've given up on the possiblilty. I've learned from this "Don't doubt yourself. You know what it's worth."

Dan
Dan Wagner Window Cleaning
Honesdale, PA

Michael said...

Thanks Dan