Friday, January 30, 2009

The High Cost of a Low Price



I just got off the phone with my phone company feeling anxious, frazzled and like I wasted half an hour of my life.

You see, in November I was threatened to be cut off by my phone company, which was actually a cable, cell phone and media company: Rogers Cable. Now that's not because I wasn't paying, but they wanted me to switch to their way of offering telephone service, through the cable line. But that's not the point of the story, so I'm not going to go into that whole interesting story.

After getting scary letters that they would cut my service, and send men to break my legs...just kidding. After receiving those letters, I realized that I would need to find a new phone service or find myself out of a land line.

So in haste, I went with a cheap company that actually uses POTS (Plain old telephone service through the copper phone line). They offered great prices, 5 features including call display name and number, call forwarding, call answer, three way calling. For just $34.95 + TAX. In addition this price doesn't include any sneaky access fees that the others charge for such silly things like 911, Touch tone calling, system access fees, etc.

I wouldn't have to worry, like I would if I switch to cable, that the cable box that converts cable to telephone, would in a power failure run out, and I would have no phone service in an emergency, when cell service would not work (I didn't work in the great blackout). No, plain old copper wire telephone service would work come ice or blackout.

When I wanted to sign up for this service with YAK, I had to wait nearly an hour to reach a live operator, and I had to listen to the same commercial 100 times, that's almost as bad, as the torture the Americans administer to suspected terrorists! After waiting an eternity I got through and signed up.

I was told I would have to wait 5 to 7 business days to be connected. those few days past, and weeks too, when I wondered what the heck is going on?

I called again, and had to wait another hour, and endure the Chinese telephone torture. After finally getting through, I asked what the problem was, they were not sure, but assured me I would get phone service soon. More weeks past, with no phone service, and I just assumed I would never be hooked up.

Until as the new year came in I realized I was connected. I was happy. And knowing I would get many services at fire sale prices.

Shock came in a few days ago when I got my first bill, after just three weeks. 65! I called them, and fortunately got through right away. I guess they are serous about answering the phone when they know they may get their money faster.

Turns out that their prices went up this new year, although the receptionist was strangely unaware of it, what do they not know how much their prices are?

So although I signed up for 34.95 as soon as I was actually connected, I was billed at 38.95. Seems like a bait and switch too me. I was sold a bill of goods, and then they switched it on me. Because Yak made me wait, I fell under their new price.

I was furious, but of course, knowing how one gets what they want on the phone, I kept my voice, determined but calm and fairly low.

They seem to not know that their price was raised even though I been checking their website twice a week every week for months. And the other packages they offer are substantially different. I know what price I was quoted and I have it written down.

They claimed because they're system is computerized they can't give me the price I was quoted and signed up for. That they would have to credit me every month and they were only willing to give me one month and a half credit.

I of course, since they pulled a bait and switch wanted the price I was quoted and signed up for. The lady said she has to research what the price was at Nov 12 on Monday then call Tech Support to enter it manually if that price was 34.95, then call me back.

Otherwise, what did I get for cheaper phone service. Bad Tech Support, and unknowledgable staff, wasted time on the phone, anger, frustration, and feeling I'd been cheated and swindled. A sneaky price increase too.

What a high price to pay for a few bucks.

No comments: