Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Fly by Night


Yesterday I was cleaning windows at a customer of mine that I have had for some time. He said your competition has been around. He has been getting a lot of people asking him would he like his windows done.

I charge $20+tax to clean his windows. It's a pretty quick job with maybe 6 or 8 small windows that I clean. It might take me 5 minutes to clean his windows.

The "competition" was offering to do his windows for $5.

I asked him why do you stick with us to clean your windows? After thinking about it for a moment, he said. Well first, holding the invoice in his hand he said, you give me an invoice, all others would just do it for cash. At least this is tax deductible.

Secondly he said that after cleaning his windows they would not return for a long time. They would only return when they need money.

So there you go, I was able to retain my customer in the midst of heavy "competition". He was willing to pay me 4 times what others were offering, simply because I always provided invoices, and I was reliable offering scheduled servicing. I was not a fly by night window cleaner.

I take many things from this. First it's always enlightening to know why the customer keeps you. It is often far different than what we may think. So always ask. Secondly price is not everything, If this customer only cared about price I would be gone a long time ago. Thirdly it is beneficial to run your business professionally, people do care about getting an invoice.

By the way, Rush is one of my favourite bands.

Want more info? email me at mike@mmwindowcleaners.com
Visit my site: http://mmwindowcleaners.com
647-409-8144

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was a great read.

window cleaning malibu ca said...

Got more understanding and knowledge by reading your blog.

Unknown said...

Well indeed information and very helpful blogs especially in window cleaning in Thousand Oaks.

Unknown said...

Thanks so much for sharing this awesome info! I am looking forward to see more postsby you!
Commercial Window Cleaner

Anonymous said...

It's great you found such an honest customer. Great reading. Thanks for sharing.