Thursday, February 16, 2012

What every window cleaner hates

Yesterday I pulled up to a gas station to clean their convenience store windows. When we parked we saw that there was a bucket and a pole and clean windows. My heart dropped. I went inside and stood in line to see that a tall man in his forties with brown long hair, a scruffy unkempt beard and eyes that looked like he was sleep deprived or a drinker or drug user was awaiting payment. I asked for the owner but he was on holidays so I spoke to the assistant manager. She is a nice women who always gives me a Tim Horton's coffee (they have Tim Horton's there sorta like Dunkin Donuts but better). She is very nice.

I spoke to her and asked what was going on. Well, a few weeks ago this man gave the invoice. He said he works for me. He gave her a small invoice, whereas mine is a nice Quick Books computer printout, 81/2 by 11. He just said they changed the invoices. I have no idea why she paid him in the past with a different price, a different invoice, and he is a scruffy scary looking guy, whereas I may be scary because I'm tall and have a deep voice. But I'm clean shaven and I try to dress neatly.

I charge her $20+tax whereas this guy charges $10 no tax. He didn't even want payment, he wanted a $10 worth of gas for his old beaten up unlettered Cargo van. He had a another guy with him that looked like it might be his brother who was just a scruffy looking.

I made clear to her that he doesn't work for me, that they are still under contract with us because they haven't cancelled. And furthermore we have been doing the windows for months.

I told her not to pay him. 

She said there was nothing that she could do, we had to wait for the owner to return. But strangely enough she still paid him, sounds like she still has some authority.

He cleans several other gas stations of the same company, but he may just be lying for all I know. And he said that the owner got him to do the windows.

So either I lost the job and they forgot to tell me, or this guy is an impostor, otherwise the owner would have told her about the change.

In any case it's a very small job so it won't hurt me to lose it, but it was maddening.

I did feel like emptying his bucket or doing something, or at the very least threatening him to never return. However I'm a professional and no good comes from revenge or getting even it would just reflect badly on me. Besides this guy could probably beat me up.

I will have to speak to the owner when he gets back and see what's going on.

This occasionally happens to me, but it's fairly rare, usually I'm told on the phone or in person that they are cancelling for someone cheaper I don't remember the last time that I had a situation like this.

Check out my website at http://mmwindowcleaners.com
647-409-8144

15 comments:

Nelly Deen said...

Thats terrible! what happened was not fair on your part. Well even i run a business, never such thing happened but thanks for the heads up. I need be extra careful from now when handling the payments and accounts.

Unknown said...

Hey! I am glad to stop by your site and know more about window washing. Keep it up! This is a good read. I will be looking forward to visit your page again and for your other posts as well. Thank you for sharing your thoughts about window washing.
To attach to the roof, the window cleaner must either use a good attachment point such as a structural beam or hook, or use an independent, counterweighted roof rig or parapet clamp. Both of these are portable from building to building and are most suitable to rope descent cleaning. Permanent davits, capable of handling much more weight, are often included on large buildings to suspend the much heavier window cleaning-exterior maintenance scaffolds from. Most buildings and rooftops were not designed with the window cleaner in mind, and it is not always possible to find suitable anchor points other than the parapet wall or a railing to attach the safety line to. In this case, some sort of counterweight sturdy enough to be used as an anchor point, other than the roof rig or parapet clamp, must be used.
Medical Office Cleaning: We provide the special attention that medical facilities need.

Window washing Cape Cod

Unknown said...

Thanks for allowing me to leave comment, I just wanna say that the information posses on this page so excellent.-Window Cleaning Memphis-

Unknown said...

Thanks you so much for your cleaning advice. It's really very useful. Thanks for sharing

Advance Cleaning | eye bolt fixing and testing : Advance Cleaning | http://www.advance-cleaning.co.uk/

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing this article, its been a really interesting read. I haven't' ever dealt much with Toronto Gutter Cleaning before. I always thought it would be a simple enough thing to fix and deal with. I'm really excited about giving it a try and seeing how well it goes, thanks again for sharing!

High-quality home cleaning service Uxbridge said...

I'm amazed how someone can be that insolent! This men really doesn't have any conscience!I'm really happy that you found about what he is doing fast!

Bella Hamilton said...

It's sad how many bad people are out there. :(

Anonymous said...

You should check out Window Washing Service Los Angeles.
They are Offering Great Commercial, Residential & Specialty Window Washing.
Here is link http://window-washing-los-angeles.com

Gutter Cleaning said...

I hate the winter.

Industrial Abseiling London said...

It's the way of business, you just have to rely on a great reputation and realise that sooner or later, they will come back.

Anonymous said...

People do weird things. Thanks for sharing.

window washing service in Philadelphia said...

Really great blog keep it up.
commercial cleaning in Philadelphia
residential cleaning in Philadelphia

jordan said...

Housekeeping Toronto
Affordable housekeeping
Cleaning downtown toronto
Move out cleaning
Condo cleaning toronto
Housekeeper toronto
Home cleaners toronto
House cleaner toronto
Deep cleaning service toronto
House cleaning services toronto
Condo cleaning service toronto
Move in cleaning service
office cleaning Service
Maid for condos
Real estate cleaning service
Airbnb cleaning service
Elite housekeeping is a leading Toronto House Cleaning & Maid Services & office Cleaning Company providing quality those seeking a cleaning lady for maid services home cleaning services in the Toronto & North / East York with affordable Rates.

Reshma Thakur said...

Nice Post, thanks for sharing information. cleaning services miami beach | commercial cleaning broward | commercial cleaning company miami | commercial cleaning company palm beach | commercial cleaning coral gables | commercial cleaning miami

Thien Nguyen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.