Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Hiring an employee or using a subcontractor





Hiring An Employee or Using a Subcontrator


The time comes in every small business where you don't handle every part of your operation.

Sure, at one point it might seem thrilling to where many hats. But over time, it gets exhausting. Some people choose to do the technician work of their business, and I respect them.

However, I want to focus more on my business and less on the actual work. I love canvassing for new clients, and dreaming about new accounts to add. The actual window cleaning is fun, and I miss it when I don't get out there and clean windows. But at a certain point it distracts me from my main aim. Growing my business.

That is why I have hired a technician to go out and clean my windows. I know, I can't be like some business owners who abdicate their authority and just hope that their employee takes care of things. On the other hand you have to give them a measure of trust and not micromanage.

By implementing methods to track when the work was done, for example getting signatures from each job, or having them also sign a guestbook at certain clients you can track that the work was done. At times you have to visit your clients, strengthen your relationship and make sure the work is being done to your satisfaction.

There are many other reasons to hire someone. Spending more time with family is a very important reason for instance.

So go ahead, hire someone. It should be a qualified person. You should have them sign a well thought out contract. And never abdicate your responsibility to service the client and monitor the work.

I hope you enjoyed reading my blog. If you are in the Toronto area and want your windows cleaned call me at 647-409-8144. 











No comments: