Monday, February 6, 2012

Training Employees

Do you like being a teacher? When we are teaching someone to window clean or perform any skills for us in our small business, we are the teacher. So, how can you go about teaching someone to clean a window, or do any other mechanical skill?

Well, I find that teaching someone in a very slow motion is good. Window Cleaners use an "S" technique or a swirl technique. And it is very hard to do if you show someone fast. But if you show them the motions in very slow motion, and have them go slow and not rush they will get it very quickly.

Don't feel the need to critique everything. Not everything they may do is wrong. Everyone has their own way to do things, and sometimes what they do is better than what you are doing now.

Catch major errors early, and stop them from forming bad habits that will be very hard to stop later.

Most of all be fun to be with, give sincere commendation when warranted. And encourage, and patiently work with your employee.


I remember when I was learning piano as a child. I had a teacher who yelled at me when I made mistakes. It didn't help, I just froze up, and was more likely to make more mistakes.

One of the major reasons why I stuck to window cleaning was that my employer patiently trained me. He didn't yell, he didn't make me feel bad when I messed up, he was very patient, because I was a very slow learner.

So be kind, be patient, commend where possible, work and teach in slow motion, and use whatever instructional videos that have been produced.

As it says in the bible book of Luke "A pupil is not above his teacher, but everyone that is perfectly instructed will be like his teacher."







No comments: